Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Food is our common ground, a universal experience

The following article was received as a result of the Google Alert which I set up. It was rather informative which made me decided to paste the article below for you to check out yourself. Just make sure when you're done, you come back up and check out this link.

05 October 2009


Kombucha

Just over a month ago Frank came home from class with a "Kombucha baby"...a beige, slimy, alien-looking disk of bacteria. When I learned that he was going to make a beverage out of it I was disgusted and completely turned off to the idea of ever consuming this supposed "drink".


Now, though, within the last couple of weeks, I have warmed up to the idea of Kombucha after researching it thoroughly and learning of all of the wonderful effects it has on those who drink it - and I too, made my very own Kombucha this afternoon, which I simply must share with you, my readers.

First of all, what is Kombucha - aside from a gross pancake of bacteria? Well, based upon my research it is just that - bacteria, good bacteria - as well as a variety of vitamins and minerals and fancy enzymes that the body loves to thrive off of! A Kombucha culture is living and it draws life from sugar to create amazing nutrients and healthy bacteria like probiotics (the good stuff in yogurt).

Historically, Kombucha is thought to date back to around 221 B.C. in China. It was used for medicinal purposes ranging from lowing high blood pressure to preventing cancer! Kombucha is known as "The Tea Of Immortality" and is still consumed daily in many Asian countries.

This website answered a lot of my questions about brewing my own Kombucha, and this website gave me really good, detailed instruction on exactly how to brew my own Kombucha.

Cleanliness is very important for the Kombucha-making process because any harmful bacteria introduced to the healthy Kombucha baby can kill it. It is important to use clean, filtered water, and all organic ingredients if possible to avoid introducing harmful chemicals and germs to the Kombucha.

Kombucha
Ingredients:
  • Kombucha culture
  • 2 liters of filtered water
  • 3-4 tea bags (Black, green, oolong or white)
  • 160 grams sugar
  • 200 ml Kombucha
Other Supplies:
  • A large, wide-mouthed jar
  • Tea towel or cheese cloth to cover the top of the jar
  • A rubber band to secure the cloth
Instructions:
Prepare the Kombucha starter by rinsing it with Kombucha tea.


Pour 200 ml of Kombucha into the bottom of the jar.


Gently place the Kombucha starter into the freshly poured Kombucha and set aside.


Boil enough water for one cup of tea (about 8 ounces) and place all of the tea bags into the cup and allow to steep for 15 to 20 minutes. After the tea has steeped, transfer it to a bowl and stir in the sugar until it has dissolved completely. Add the cold, filtered water to this solution.

Pour the tea into the storage/fermenting jar of Kombucha.


Cover the top of the jar with cloth and secure it with a rubber band.

Store the Kombucha in a dark, warm location and allow it to ferment for 3 to 5 days - and up to a 10 days.

Notes:
  • I used Oolong tea and "Strawberry Serenity" Kombucha from New Seasons Grocery store.
  • A Kombucha culture can be purchased over the internet if one does not have access to it otherwise. I am unaware of stores carrying something like this. I'm also still researching how to make my own starter from scratch...I've had little to no luck so far. Already-made Kombucha can be purchased at most major grocery stores - I know Hy-Vee (Sioux Falls, SD), Whole Foods and New Seasons carry it.
  • Temperature for fermenting the Kombucha is important. If the storage area is too cold the process will take forever, or not happen at all. An ideal temperature is around 80 degrees - easy in the summer time, but sort of challenging now that the temperature outside is chilly. Currently, I am storing my Kombucha on top of the refrigerator, because when it runs it gets pretty warm. This is not ideal since the temperature fluctuates so much, but its the best I can do for now.
  • The Kombucha needs to be shielded from light, as the light affects the nutrient absorption. Currently, my jar is covered with a pillowcase with the top exposed until I can find a box to put it in.
  • Oxygen is important for helping the Kombucha ferment, so the cloth used to cover the top needs to have some room for air to pass.
  • As the Kombucha ferments, a "baby" will form on top of the starter disk. This process begins immediately and is most noticeable beginning on day 3 of fermentation.
  • Begin tasting the Kombucha after about 5 days...the longer it is given to ferment, the stronger the flavor will become. Bottle the Kombucha when it reaches a desired flavor, and tone down the flavor with organic juice.
Wow...that got long! There is just so much to know and learn about this drink! I will be photographing my Kombucha daily and recording the process along the way. I'm super excited and giddy about this project, I do hope it is a success and I can reap the benefits of this beverage!




0 comments:

Sponsored Links

The Diet Solution Program!
A Comprehensive Weight Loss Program
Guarantees Increased Energy, Health And Vitality
http://www.thedietsolutionprogram.com

Spartan Health Regimen Program!
Amazing Hard-core Diet & Training Program!
Get Lean, Strong And Fit
http://www.spartanhealth.com

Crunch Cholesterol!
Safe, Natural Secrets For High Cholesterol
Secrets Found In Nature
http://getridofhighcholesterol.com